[Dixielandjazz] Re: Tommy Turk

Jim Beebe jbeebe at centurytel.net
Sat Oct 18 14:38:35 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Hanson" <jazzdude at bellsouth.net>
To: "Jim Beebe" <jbeebe at centurytel.net>
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2003 12:00 PM
Subject: Tommy Turk

> Jim,    I was wondering if you are familiar with the trombonist Tommy Turk
> ? I had heard his name before but know little about him, except he was in
> Philadelphia  area. A CD was given to me by a collector friend and this
guy
> was a monster player, in 1948. I know he had a big band in the 60's
> possibly, that featured him and Frank Rosolino.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave Hanson
> Atlanta

Dave: I will respond to this on the DJML as well...others may be interested.

Tommy Turk was one of the greatest jazz trombonists and one of the least
known. Some very big trombone names have gotten their fastest moving parts
from Turk and have never acknowledged this.  Tommy Turk surfaced in the late
40s and was on one the early "Jazz at the Philharmonic" concerts that was
recorded and released.  This is probably what you heard on the CD given to
you by a f riend. Turk moved to Las Vegas and apparently never left there.

The f irst time I played with Bob Scobey was in vegas in 1956. Someone
recomended that I catch Tommy Turk who had a group working late in one of
the lounges. I  was completely knocked out by him.  I"ve not heard anyone
before or since  who could play that fast and swing that hard on the
trombone. There are fast players around like Bill Watrous but they are
lifeless.  Turk was full of spit and fire.

Turk apparently spent his life in Las Vegas, playing lounge gigs with his
little group.  He    was a small man and feisty.  Somewhere in the 80s he
stopped by a liquor store to pick up something for he and his wife to
celebrate a birthday or anniversary with. He walked in on a holdup.  He was
shot to death and those who know him speculated that he didn't take this
robbery sitting down.

Sadly, Tommy Turk is on only two recordings that I know of...'Jazz at the
Phil' and a 10" LP that someone  put out.

I had couple of table top tapes of Turk playing live but I don't know where
they are.  His
playing is very impressive.  Do a Goggle search on him and something should
show up. His
brother, Rob Turk, was or is a very good trumpet player.

Jim Beebe