[Dixielandjazz] Rod Stewart on Good Morning America

Butch Thompson butcht at sihope.com
Sat Oct 18 09:18:47 PDT 2003

Mr. Stewart appeared on national television to promote a second volume of
his Great American Songbook.  It is hard to find words to describe this
performance, but here are  four: arrogant, inept, enervated, juvenile.

He was asked how he feels as he sings the classic repertoire in the shadow
of the many giants who have done so before him, and more specifically how
this compares with performing his usual material.  "It's easier," he said.
Well, if you don't try to sing on pitch maybe it is.

There were also a few string players on the set, along with a pianist, bass
player and maybe one or two others.  The arrangements were bland and
unimaginative in the extreme, and I was embarrassed for the musicians.

Anybody on the list who starts getting requests for that Rod Stewart song
"I'm in the Mood for Love" should report this event to the rest of us.

Butch Thompson