[Dixielandjazz] CDs Made From LPs - A Shameless Advertisement of ignorance

Phil O'Rourke philor at webone.com.au
Thu Oct 16 20:00:14 PDT 2003

Tom, Bud & others

Some of the material offered is from the Jazzology label and has been
reissued on CD. (You can even get them in Australia).
I did not look at anything else after I found the Jazzology items.
If record companies forget about the music should we refrain from copying
the LPs (or 78s)? These look like they are from a jazz speciality label who
have not only remembered the music but have gone to the trouble of digitally
re-mastering and issuing the material on CD (from the originals).
IMHO Bud has wasted his own time and effort, left himself open to legal
skirmishes and has not shown any faith in a label that has kept jazz going
throughout the world (or do people in USA have so little knowledge of what
is happening with the (OUR) music)?
It is not even a "foreign" label for you unless you are that parochial that
New Orleans is foreign.

Sometimes the ignorance shown by people who say they love the music is so
overwhelming that I wonder if we are talking about the same sounds. When
they talk about the "Hot Fives" are they talking about fingers that got too
close to the fire.

I better shut up before I insult somebody.

Phil O'Rourke
Australia