[Dixielandjazz] CDs Made From LPs - A Shameless Advertisement

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu Oct 16 05:05:20 PDT 2003

In a message dated 10/15/03 10:23:50 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mjl at ix.netcom.com writes:

> >>Well, I finally done it!  I have restored 4 CD's worth of great music
> >>from my 1950-60s LP collection and posted them to eBay.  <snip>
> >
> > How you getting around the copyrights and royalties situation Bud ?
>
> Specifically, one wonders if you've read the eBay policy on the selling
> of dubbed commercial recordings?  What you are doing is expressly
> prohibited by eBay.  Please, my friend, do yourself a favor by ending
> the sales before someone with similar concerns reports you.  I advise
> this course of action only because I once took the time to forage
> through the anything-but-helpful Help line, and found said express
> prohibition laid out quite clearly,
> --
> Etc,
>
> Rev M J "Mike" Logsdon, Deacon
> http://www.naorc.org

Very simply Mike:

Ignore them totally.

I do not even know what CDs or songs Bud is offering, but it really does not
matter, he will certainly not sell enough copies to warrant any civil lawsuit
for copyright infringement, and more then likely will not sell enough copies
to even warrant a letter from some lawyer at $250.00 per hour to challenge him
for what he is doing.  Making available some historical recordings that are
long out of print for the perpetuation of an art form and a specific style of
music long ago abandoned by the copyright owners if you can even research and
find them.

In his wildest dreams I can't imagine Bud thinking he could ever actually do
more than recover a few bucks for his production time and costs of making the
CDs and mailing them to the persons willing to compensate him for the not to
be found else where recordings.

If the copyright owners were so concerned they would keep printing and
distributing the product, obviously they do not feel there is a sufficient enough
marketplace or buyers to warrant such a situation, therefore they would be
rather stupid to even threaten to pursue a legal situation against a guy Like Bud
for servicing a small market of collectors and or musicians looking for
research materials to possibly re record and issue new releases that might actually
sell enough recordings to bring them some royalties.

We live in a society with far too many outdated laws and policies that simply
do not apply any longer, if you think for one minute that some copyright
owner will be looking or ever hear of the CDs being offered by Bud then my friend
you are sadly mis informed, they have given up looking for anybody to sell
recordings of their stuff thirty to forty years ago and more than likely do not
even know that they own it anymore, since they have not seen a royalty check
for any of this stuff in probably forty years or more.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

So Sue me I need the Publicity, just spell my name correct, and by the way I
am judgment proof.  I am a musician, and we all know they only make about
13,000 a year man.  By US Government statistics.