[Dixielandjazz] JAZZ GOES TO COLLEGE?

Kurt bowermastergroup at qwest.net
Mon Oct 13 18:07:53 PDT 2003

Steve,

I'm not sure if it is still going, but when I attended Drake University back
in the early 1980s I organized the "Drake Dixie Dawgs" student dixieland
band to represent the university at the "Southern Comfort Collegiate
Dixieland Jazz Competition".  This was a highly organized event and drew
entries all across the nation.

Each band submitted a demo tape of three or four dixieland tunes.  A panel
of judges then selected bands to compete in different regions and the best
of those bands competed in Kansas City for the national championship.  I
believe first prize included a national tour, recording deal and some cash.

Some of the best bands had been organized for years (with different players
because of graduation attrition).  I remember Purdue University had a great
band.

I haven't heard anything about this great competition in years.  It'd be
great to get it going again.

Kurt