[Dixielandjazz] sitting in, or taking advantage?

Jazzjerry at aol.com Jazzjerry at aol.com
Mon Oct 13 19:04:39 PDT 2003

Around five or six years ago I was deoing a little record bar at the opening
night of a new pub venue here in Norfolk. The format was that a very well
known clarinet player was the invited guest to play with local musicians one of
whom was a very old friend and also the organiser of the jazz evenings. The
format was therefore very informal and during the course of the evening various
local players of varying ability were invited up to have a blow. All very
friendly. The Gerry (leader / organiser) invited a young lady onto the 'stage'
(really a bit of floor at the end of the bar) to sing. I learnt later that it was
almost her first public performance and certainly the first with of a
'nationally known' musician backing her. Needless to say she was rather nervous.
However she had a very pleasant voice and got through the first part of 'Hard
Hearted Hannah' without any problems at all when breaking through the crowd came
another 'lady' who was better known (although not necessarily a better singer).
She strode up to Gerry whilst the guest was taking a solo and berated him for
inviting 'that woman' up to sing "her song". She then grabbed the mike out of
the invited singer's hand and launched into a further verse and chorus of the
song. The bemused band continued to play behind her. After her vocal she turned
to the band shouted 'That's real f...ing jazz' and walked out of the room.
The original singer took the final chorus and earned herself a great ovation.

Now that is what I call sitting in!

The same woman had a few months previously been thrown out of a jazz club she
herself organised after biting the arm of the hotel manager and drawing blood
in which the club was held! The only instance I know of when a jazz club
organiser got themselves banned from their own club.

And they said that Norfolk was dull!

Cheers,

Jerry
Norwich,