[Dixielandjazz] sitting in, or taking advantage?

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Mon Oct 13 19:13:54 PDT 2003

Years ago, we had a girl singer that would show up every week to sit in.
Always the same tunes, Gravy Walz and one I can't remember now.  She
wanted to sit in in the first or second set, rather than the 3rd, which
was sort of reserved for this sort of thing.....'cause "there are more
people to hear me in the earlier sets".  When she said that is when we
told her to get lost.  To this day, she has never, ever spoken to us
again!     :>

My personal feeling is that most sit ins want to "be heard", rather than
are just aching to play.  In one of the other posts on this subject I
read that someone felt one or two numbers were not enough to get warmed
up.  Exactly!  So, why bother to sit in?  You get more out of a gig by
hearing what others are doing rather than trying to show what you can
do.....

If we do let someone unknown up on the stand I will always announce that
a friend is going to play a number with us.....then, if it's not so
great, say "give a big hand for...." and usher the person off the stage.
If it's great....well, another tune, but will normally call it off after
the second, except in the case where the sit in is not duplicating
someone else on the stand, and is really adding something to the band.
Then, a few free drinks will get tossed in....of course, and maybe one
of our CD's.

Jim