[Dixielandjazz] New Orleans Jazz Club Jam Session

Deano Assunto deanoassunto at thedukesofdixieland.com
Sun Oct 12 22:20:53 PDT 2003

        A Tribute to:

                 Frank, Freddie, Betty Owens "the Duchess" and PaPa "Jac" Assunto
                                                                    known as
                                            THE DUKES OF DIXIELAND

                                                      The New Orleans Jazz Club*
                                        Sunday, October 26, 2003 . 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
                                                    Landmark Hotel . Metairie, LA

It was October 1983 when PaPa "Jac" Assunto played with The New Orleans Jazz Club
at their monthly jam session for his last time. Performing at his side that day was his
son-in-law George Marois along with his grandson Mike Marois. Now 20 years later
Mike is back to pay tribute to PaPa "Jac" along with his uncles' and aunt, Frank, Freddie
and Betty Assunto a.k.a. The Dukes of Dixieland. Mike has created his tribute to the
legacy of the Dukes and the music performed by his family. An accomplished musician
performing professionally from 12 years old. After hand picking musicians such as
Lee Smith on trumpet, Ed Stoddard on trombone, Tony Childs on clarinet, Mike Vreeland on
piano/banjo, and Mike Marois on tuba with a special appearance by Angela Assunto Soulas,
daughter of Freddie Assunto and Betty "the Duchess". They will play the real Dukes music
that had brought the Assunto Dukes of Dixieland to international fame.

The New Orleans Jazz Club and the Assunto Family's connection dates back to 1948.
While PaPa "Jac" Assunto worked along side of  countless others to create the New
Orleans Jazz Club, Frank and Freddie Assunto with Betty Owens "the Duchess"  were
creating what would become The Dukes of Dixieland. By September 1951 the Dukes
were assisting the New Orleans Jazz Club with their annual fund raisers.
An audio sample of this can be heard on the LA State Museum web-site:

www.lsm.crt.state.la.us/audio/vocal.htm

This 'tribute' is also a Thank-You to the New Orleans Jazz Club for all it does to
preserve the "jazz" tradition.

For more on the real Dukes history visit:   www.therealdukes.com

*The New Orleans Jazz Club meets on the last Sunday of the month.
  Meetings are OPEN TO THE PUBLIC and musicians are invited to bring their
  instruments and sit-in.

Quote from Frank Assunto, 1959  "The reason I made the trumpet my instrument is because of Armstrong. I think for all of us, making an album with him was the greatest thrill we've ever had." www.thedukesofdixieland.com