[Dixielandjazz] King Zephyr Sax

william crist mensa-1 at webtv.net
Sun Oct 12 20:47:55 PDT 2003

I have a King Zephyr tenor sax serial #  292319 that I have owned for
about 40 years.  It has the mother of pearl buttons and the 3 hole strap
hook. According to the serial # it was made between 1945 and 1950.
My question is how do these horns compare to the Martin and Selmer horns
of that period ?  I have heard a lot of discussion about these horns and
wonder what imput listmates might have on this subject.
I have a friend that says Martins are the best ever made.  I don't know
if this is an arbitrary statement on his part or if the Martin is the
real deal.
I can't imagine any horn having a better tone than this King.  I am not
really a sax player but it seems to be a first rate horn.

Thanks for any imput.
Bill Crist