[Dixielandjazz] SIT-INS

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sat Oct 11 00:24:47 PDT 2003

In a message dated 10/10/03 7:51:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
zenith at ans.com.au writes:

> Younger people are always encouraged to sit-in for a couple of numbers
> maximum (only one if they are hopeless and embarrassed) regardless of known or
> unknown competence except not allowed on International festival platforms.

Hi Tom:

I would like to go on record regarding the youth players, which may have not
been clear in my previous posts and replies.

I have no objections whatsoever towards the encouragement of young players,
however they should be introduced as exactly what they are, and make it known
that the band would like to invite them up to play a number (hopefully the best
one they know) to showcase them as a budding future professional.

I may not have sounded like I was for that in my previous posts, because I
tend to treat all posters on the list as Professional players earning a living
in this business, as I have done for forty years.  I don't know any other way,
and had to learn how to be successful the hard way making most of the mistakes
in the early days of my career.

I sometimes forget that there are a lot of amateurs, and wannabes, and never
gonna bees and just plain wonderful audience people on this great list that
offer their opinions and view points from time to time, right or wrong and
sometimes even in the middle

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band.