[Dixielandjazz] Sitting In

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 10 18:34:25 PDT 2003

Not so. You missed the point that I invite everyone who may want to sit in, to attend Tex Wyndham's rehearsals. See my "PS". They are held weekly when he is in town. Any wannabe is going to learn one hell of a lot more by going there on a Tuesday night than by sitting in one or two numbers with Barbone Street. It also separates those who are serious about wanting to play Dixieland professionally from the once and a whiler who just wants to get on stage.

Dixieland is a very easy style of music to learn for most musicians who play jazz. Best way I know of is to listen to records and play along. Then go to rehearsals like those Tex Wyndham has, then go to open mike nights around town. Then start your own band, or become a sideman in an existing one.

I am always amazed at how many people there are who say they want to sit in, play Dixieland, etc., and then NEVER show up to play in a rehearsal band, of friendly helpful musicians, that plays a book containing 1500 Dixieland tunes. Too much work?

Also note that I said, in my PS, that we encourage "young" musicians. I attend open mike nights throughout the Philadelphia area when I can and am fairly well know at them. If I spot a youngster who likes OKOM, I invite him to Tex's, and or to sit in at one of our lesser dates if he can keep up with us.

However, musicians who show up, unknown and unannounced with a couple of horn cases and say "Can I sit in?" are absolutely refused. (Happened at out last gig at Sydney's Jazz Cafe in Rehoboth)

My position is relatively simple. You couldn't just walk in and sit it at Ryan's, Condon's, Nick's, Birdland, Onyx Club, Three Deuces, etc. etc., (UNLESS YOU WERE ASKED) when I was a kid and since we are playing pretty close to that level of music, I don't see why we should deviate from that.

Regarding the music dying, here in our territory, Dixieland is alive, professionally viable and has an increasing number of gigs and an increasing number of Dixieland bands to play those gigs. That has absolutely nothing to do with sitting in, but everything to do with how those of us in this region present the music. And that is, in no small measure, partly my doing.

Jazz musicians will play Dixieland if it is economically viable. So make it economically viable like I have before you condemn it to death. Encouraging more musicians to play Dixieland is the tail wagging the dog. We should be encouraging the audiences. That will attract the musicians who are already on the scene, but can't "find" a Dixieland gig, as well as new ones.  But then, I've said that to deaf ears before.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Maybe Rosie saw a good thing with a free Tuba also. ;-) Doesn't work for us, we have a full 6 piece group with every base covered. Plus we are having such a good time playing, that we are loathe to sit out when someone, not an expert, sits in.