[Dixielandjazz] No jazz content.-indulge me please

PJ Ladd pj.ladd at btopenworld.com
Fri Oct 10 21:45:36 PDT 2003

Hi all,
last night at the Hilton in London a charity in support of those who are suffering or have suffered from breast cancer held their annual fund raising fashion show.
This is a very upmarket affair, tickets £150 each, and is attended by numerous celebs and by the Prime Ministers wife Cherie Blair, who is the patron.
It is an unashamed fund raiser, tombola prizes at £25 per pop. raffle prizes at £10 each. After dinner an auction took place, run by an auctioneer who could coax money out of a Tax Inspector. All the items for sale were reasonably spectacular and they all went for many times the real value. A necklet of cultured pearls went for £25000, a first night at the National Ballet went for £10,000 and Cherie, without her husbands knowledge put up for auction a game of tennis against the Prime Minister. That went for for £20,000. Wow!

The high spot of the evening though is the fashion show with dresses loaned by the top fashion houses, one dress alone was worth £20,000, hair do`s by Vidal Sassoon, makeup and makeup artists supplied by Estee Lauder, but what is most important is that the models must all have had breast cancer.
The 12 models are chosen from a  nationwide list of applicants.
If you have stuck with me so far, thanks, and here is the nub, my daughter Lesley who has suffered a double mastectomy was one of those chosen.
Of course many of the audience had connections or were family or friends of the girls on the catwalk and the cheers, and tears, as the girls came out were most moving.
I looked at my daughter, who has suffered so much, come down the catwalk looking like a million dollars, with her head held high crowned by the tight black post  radiation treatment curls and I was so PROUD.

I JUST HAD TO TELL SOMEBODY OR I WILL BURST.

Thanks for listening.

PatL