[Dixielandjazz] Sitting In

Jim Beebe jbeebe at centurytel.net
Fri Oct 10 15:52:35 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Barbone" <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>

> Our band has a simple policy. No sit ins unless invited by the band
> members, or it is someone we know who is an excellent player. And when
> it happens (very rarely), no more than one tune.
>
> We believe that people come to see "us", not a sit in, unless the player
> is of great reputation.
>
> Example: Tonight we are playing the GRAND OPENING of a brand new Jazz
> Night Club. We will not allow sit ins unless Jim Beebe, Kim Cusack., Tom
> Artin, Jon Erik Kellso, Randy Reinhart, Kenny Davern or Ed Metz Sr. show
> up. And then, because they are professionals, they would probably
> decline the invitation.

Hey, I would love to sit in but I hung up the horn going on 3 years now.  I
just loaned out my one horn for a friend to try.

> I admire what Lester Young once told a band leader who asked him to sit
> in after spotting him in the back of the room listening one night. Said
> Pres:
>
> "No thanks man, I don't dig being dug when I'm diggin."

  I love it.  What a great saying... but only good coming from him.  When
Pres. was with Basie he had a little bell that he would pick up and ring
when someone hit a clinker or goofed during a solo.  One night he clinked
during his own solo and one of the guys picked up his bell and rang it.
Pres. was furious.

Jim Beebe