[Dixielandjazz] Sitting In

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 10 14:31:24 PDT 2003

Our band has a simple policy. No sit ins unless invited by the band
members, or it is someone we know who is an excellent player. And when
it happens (very rarely), no more than one tune.

We believe that people come to see "us", not a sit in, unless the player
is of great reputation.

Example: Tonight we are playing the GRAND OPENING of a brand new Jazz
Night Club. We will not allow sit ins unless Jim Beebe, Kim Cusack., Tom
Artin, Jon Erik Kellso, Randy Reinhart, Kenny Davern or Ed Metz Sr. show
up. And then, because they are professionals, they would probably
decline the invitation.

I admire what Lester Young once told a band leader who asked him to sit
in after spotting him in the back of the room listening one night. Said
Pres:

"No thanks man, I don't dig being dug when I'm diggin."

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

We do make exceptions for young players. We had our bass player's
grandson sit in on drums last year for 4 tunes. I paid him $20 and it
was his first ever paying gig. He was 14 years old. Plus, I invite them
to attend the open rehearsals that I attend several times a month with
Tex Wyndham's Red Lion Jazz Band. (I am a sideman in that band)