[Dixielandjazz] Your opinions on "sit-ins" please?

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 10 10:03:03 PDT 2003

Hey Dave, everybody: as a young player, I was very grateful for the chance
to sit in with more experienced musicians. In my experience, jazz audiences
are extremely tolerant and encouraging of this. Now, some forty years on, I
only wish there were more young people looking to sit in with my band. The
only exception would be those persistent no-hopers who after several years
still can't really play and are looking for their only chance to blow. These
should be gently but firmly discouraged. As to good experienced players,
known to the band, or with a reputation behind them, I find that band and
audience alike enjoy the refreshment/challenge of hearing someone new
playing with us. In both cases, two or three numbers seems about right. Hope
this helps.

Mike D.