[Dixielandjazz] Your opinions on "sit-ins" please?

Dave Gravatt dave at creolejazz.com
Thu Oct 9 21:26:34 PDT 2003

Greetings! I know this has been covered before, but I'm looking for
opinions/perspectives from both band members and from those in the audience.

What do you think about musicians sitting in on a band's regular weekly gig?
Meaning, they have asked to sit in and are allowed to do so. Does it detract
from the performance or make it more interesting? Does it make the band seem
"less professional" somehow? If the musician sitting in is young and
inexperienced but excited about playing jazz, should he be allowed to play?
How many tunes is enough or too much? Anything else?

I realize there are a lot of variables but am looking for whatever
feedback/expertise you may offer. Thanks!

Dave
The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band
"It's a treat to beat your feet"
417-581-5626