Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Re: Leading Anecdotes

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Sat Oct 4 10:10:13 PDT 2003

Perhaps we're all making wrong assumptions about how our music, and, in fact,
all music, will be categorized by future players and listeners. We all grew
up believing that the best music of each generation somehow will be remembered
and preserved and that each generation's music fits into some kind of
cubbyhole for future reference. This assumption gave birth to the necessary
expectation of constant replacement; each new generation must create its own sound or
style, each to be eventually pigeon-holed by generation for history. But the
electronic revolution we live in (and will continue to live with on-going from
now on) is changing these assumptions and expectations quickly. All music is
constantly available now. We don't get to hear all styles from all eras on the
radio, of course, but that's because the producers invest in pleasing whatever
audience they think is now buying the most. Sometimes they are very wrong. The
message for OKOM is to keep putting it out there. Somebody will be listening
and tapping their foot. It will always be my kind of music.
Dan (piano fingers) Spink