[Dixielandjazz] Re: Ti-Pi-Tin

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 4 07:47:55 PDT 2003

It was asked (I think by Bill Haesler):

>Another tune from my youth, still stuck in the back of my brain!
>Most people seem to sing "Tipi Tipi Tin."
>I wonder what the words on the sheet music say.

They go:

One night when the moon was so mellow
Rosita met young Manuelo
He held her like this, this lovely miss
Then stole a kiss - this fellow.

He said he was glad he met her
And soon he would come and get her
But she said "No, I cannot go
Until I know you better.

Cho:

Tippi tippi tin tippi tin
Tippi tippi ton tippi ton
He kept on a-stealing and he had a feeling she was satisfied.

Tippi tippi tin tippi tin
Tippi tippi ton tippi ton
She was saying "No Sir" So he held her closer, that's how he complied.

That's pretty much it.  Today those lyrics would be totally incorrect
politically. I mean, when a female says "No" and you keep groping that's
grounds for attempted rape and heavy lawsuits.

Here's a projected contemporary verse:

He said he was gonna get her
Cause he'd like to know her better
He hollered "Whoa, I'd like to know
What's underneath that sweater!

That night when the moon was so mellow
She said "This ain't no bordello"
If you don't stop I'll call a cop
And to jail you'll hop big fellow!

TippiTippi tippi tin tippi tin
Tippi tippi ton tippi ton
"You'll need an attorney to keep you from a journey right down to the jail"

TippiTippi tippi tin tippi tin
Tippi tippi ton tippi ton
"Don't treat me as an object, or you'll be a legal project so you better hit
the trail"

Respectfully submitted

Bill "The Bard" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com