[Dixielandjazz] RE: portable PA-Professional

John Wolfe n2xbw at northnet.org
Fri Oct 3 09:14:01 PDT 2003

system investigate the Crate "Limo".  It is a 100% battery-powered 50watt
unit with good tone and true ease of use.  I've been using one for the last
4 years or so, and I can't say enough good about it.
It has 3 inputs -one of which is XLR for your low impedance microphone. It
also has inputs for tape or CD player. It has a 2-way speaker system with
10" woofer and a piezo tweeter.  It has a selection of solid digital effects
such as reverb, echo, chorus, etc.  One thing I really like about it is the
speaker pole mount which allows me to get the unit up off the stage (or
ground) and pointed toward the audience.  The battery lasts about 8 hours at
1/4 to 1/2 power.  You'll probably never turn it up more than that.  The
unit will run on its AC adaptor if it's available, and also ships with a 12v
cigarette lighter cord for use at tailgate parties, etc.  I HAVE found that
the battery must be fully charged for the AC adaptor to run it.
I commonly run a guitar, a microphone, and an instrument pick-up through it
with no problems.  This is the real thing, folks, and US made.
I paid $255 for the Limo new and have never regretted it.  I replaced the
battery last week at a cost of about $60.  It ships with a 7.5 amp sealed
lead-acid battery, but I replaced it with a 12amp battery; hence the
somewhat high cost.
There is no comparison between this professional-quality amp -and its
siblings in the Crate "Taxi" series - with the Fender "Can" Amp.
All usual disclaimers apply.  I have no financial interest in Crate
Amplifiers.

General Information on the Crate Limo at:
http://216.15.253.90/products/tx/tx50dbe.htm

Read a PDF of the Limo Owner's Manual at:
http://www.stlouismusic.com/downloads/crate/owners_manuals/TX50D.PDF

Keep On a-Huffin'
Johnny "Big Bad" Wolfe
The Easy Street Dixieland Band