[Dixielandjazz] Short report on the recent Earlyjas 2003 Fall Jazz Festival in Strongsville, Ohio!

Ronald Gable vilcad at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 2 16:18:13 PDT 2003

We went off-list for vacation and have just now gotton back on.  What follows is a segment of one of my jazz column articles.  You can go to our website at: http://www.jazzadvocate.com/special_picture_page.htm to see some of the pictures.

Sometimes in life you have to smell the roses and sometimes in jazz your have to go back to its roots, which is precisely the reason last weekend found us on a mini-vacation to take in some traditional classic jazz, America's music, the jazz that's studied and played in almost every country.  Every year jazz societies around the world hold festivals to present and preserve this, our cultural contribution to mankind.  Thus Rosemary and I attended the Eralyjas 2003 Fall Jazz Festival held Sept 19, 20 & 21 at the Holiday Inn Select in Strongsville, Ohio.  This wonderful and convenient to Dayton facility put fourth thirty-three sets of music by eight bands from two the venues within.  This is an easy three and a half hour drive; the hotel is large and first class with all the music happening in the lounge (100 to 150 capacity) and the main ballroom (350 to 400 capacity); food is available at both venues and their restaurant; the service is so good, you never need to leave for any reason.  The bands: High Sierra Jazz Band from Three Rivers, CA - Cakewalkni' Jass Band from Toledo, Ohio - Ragweed Jazz Band from Ajax, ONT - Dave Greer's Classic Jazz Stompers from our own Dayton, Ohio - Eagle Jazz Band from Cleveland, Ohio - Earlville Jazz Band from Kent, Ohio - Steve Bauman's Classic Jazz Band from Munroe Falls, Ohio and the Hymns of Dixieland from Nassukkib, Ohio.  So many highlights and so little space to write about them: All outstanding, the High Sierra was probably the premier band this year with the Yama Yamm Man song by Howard Miyata being one of my favorites.  More memorable moments was Ray Heitger's five year old grandson sitting in on the front line, playing trombone and the charismatic Canadian Nation Champion, Jamie Macpherson who plays the banjo for the Ragweed Jazz Band.  Dave Greer's Classic Jazz Stompers scored a big hit Saturday night by having Nate Cooper from Rhythm And Shoes come up from Dayton and do a couple of tap dance numbers during their set.  Lots of good music, dancing and just plain fun was had by the six to seven hundred people in attendance; we can't wait for next year.

Thanks for supporting jazz,

Ronald L Gable
Jazz Advocate, jazz writer
for Dayton City Paper and