[Dixielandjazz] Another PA system nightmare

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Thu Oct 2 11:24:51 PDT 2003

it really tics off the "Sound
Engineer so we tell him/her to take a DI from our gear they want more.
In
the end they never bother.
regards,
Richard Stevens

I often do the same thing, Richard.  I have two setups, one with two 80
watt amplified speakers (yep, you read correctly.....they are plenty
loud to cover 150 diners!), and a different set of 360 watt amplified
speakers.  Go straight from the collective brass/vocal mic into a
Lexicon PCM60 preamp/reverb & line in to the speakers.  Have level
control, some eq, and reverb mix on the Lexicon within reach.  The bass
uses direct inject into his amp, as does the keyboard.  If there is a
real piano, I use the two small speakers connected directly from a Sony
ECM979 stereo mic (a cheapy, but really good).  No mixers needed for the
whole outfit.

I use the speakers a bit behind the band, therefore the serve as
monitors as well as audience speakers.  NO, they do NOT feedback, if you
don't use high levels, and you shouldn't be.  I always like to say that
the amplification is not really amplification as such, rather a "boost"
for the natural level of the band.

Lately, all the places we have been playing have their own sound, and
they know me well enough to let me set it up!  We have a concert this
weekend, though, and the sound engineer said he has "everything
needed"......which always worries me.  Might pop a few items in my car
before going to that gig, just in case.

Sound!  Elazar doesn't like to use it.  However, if you are forced to
use a keyboard (no acoustic piano available), and it is amplified, which
it will be, then the rest of the levels of the band must be built
over/with the level of the piano.....so, practically everyone needs an
electric boost.  It's just a fact.  As an example, if you play
acoustically with a loud drummer, the whole band will play louder.  Any
one member of a band can vary the level of the whole band.

Jim