[Dixielandjazz] Ain't Technology Wonderful?

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Wed Oct 1 14:05:47 PDT 2003

In a message dated 10/1/03 9:47:54 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com writes:

> >Amazing to me. at least. How long will it be until you can sell folks a
> >DVD of a live performance at the end of that performance?
>
> Actually you can pretty much do this now. There is a new Sony camera
> that records straight onto CD so all you need is a CD duplicator
> and away you go.

The company that does my CDs also has relatively inexpensive Portable CD
burners to turn out sufficient quantities to make it possible to have an autograph
session at the end of live shows and sell folks CDs of the performance.  It
would be beneficial however to have the generic Sleeves pre printed if you know
enough in advance when the concert will be.

Ideal for a touring act, because if you pretty much do the same show every
night for the tour as many groups do, you could actually sell the live
recordings nightly with the audience response and all, and nobody would even know you
may have recorded the show weeks ago in Pittsburgh rather than Des Moines, and
yes they have portable shrink wrap machines too.

Technology is amazing indeed, who needs Warner Brothers, or Columbia Records?
all you need is good PR, marketing and a crowd of people in one place. (And a
good Band of course).

Get the tools and go find the people, play to them and watch them clamber to
buy your music at retail prices.  OKOM ain't dead at all folks, but people are
not going around looking for it, you have to go find them and introduce them
to it or re-introduce them, the memory span is too short these days with all
the technology to occupy their time.   We have to make OKOM a priority for
them, hummm!

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins