[Dixielandjazz] Thread--Willie McTell and Robert-Barbeque Bob-Hicks--guitarists in Atlanta in the '30s

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Wed Oct 1 08:32:38 PDT 2003

Thanks, Bill Haesler for clarifying this point.  Agree, "mistaken identity
or memory lapse" is most likely explanation.  After all, my experience with
listening to Willie McTell was in the middle of the last century and my
uncle's educational experience in Atlanta was '31-'35. He certainly heard
Blind Willie McTell at the Pig and Whistle in the 30's.  It's possible that
he had also heard Barbeque Bob Hicks on previous trips to Atlanta before
Hicks death in 1931.

By the time I got to Atlanta in 1952, Pig & Whistle had been demolished to
make way for "progress."  I was unaware of Tidwell's Barbeque Place--maybe
it, too,  was gone by the time I arrived there.

On the liner notes for McTell's Biograph LP 12008, Chris Albertson mentions
John Lomax's Library of Congress record # 4072A2 made in 1940 in Atlana "
Monoologue on Life as Maker of Records." Albertson alludes to a selection on
that recording where McTell speaks about his own life.  However, Albertson
indicates that he had not actually heard the recording.  Anybody know about
this?

I guess Bill's comments about winds up this thread unless there are others
out there who can comment on this issue.

Norman Vickers
Pensacola
________________________________________________________-
>From: Bill Haesler <bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au>
>To: glen page <gpage at direct.ca>

>Dear Glen and Norman,
>Sorry to be a bit late with a reply. A busy few days!
Regarding Norman's: >In telling my uncle about him, my relative reported
that he'd heard him at the Pig and Whistle, a
restaurant still going in the 50s.  He was going by the name of "Barbecue
Bob" in the mid '30s when my uncle was then in
school at Emory.  Later when I got some Blind Willie LPs, and later, CDs
liner notes confirmed that he'd recorded under
the name of Barbecue Bob, and others.<
With due respect, I suggest mistaken identity or memory lapse.

Blind Willie Samuel McTell. (1901-1959). Born and died in Georgia. Born
almost totally blind.
Recorded for Victor, Columbia, Okeh, Vocalion. Decca, LoC, Regal, Biograph
and Prestige-Bluesville.
Using the following names: Barrelhouse Sammy, Blind Doogie, Blind Sammy,
Georgia Bill, Red Hot Willie Glaze, Hot Shot
Willie Glaze, Pig 'n' Whistle Red, Red Hot Willie.
On none of these records did he use the name Barbecue Bob.
That I could find.
He certainly worked in Atlanta and, over many years, at the 'Pig'n'
Whistle'.

Robert 'Bob' Hicks (1902-1931). Born and died in Georgia. Named Barbecue Bob
due to frequent engagements at Tidwell's
Barbecue Place, Atlanta, Georgia.
Recorded for Columbia (1927-30).
Influenced: John Jackson and Curley Weaver.

I have never seen any references suggesting a direct connection between the
two guitarist/singers.
Nor can I imagine McTell needing to use Barbecue Bob's name in later life
for any reason.
However, it is said that Bob Hicks was an influence on the playing/singing
of Blind Curley Weaver (1906-1962).
And Weaver recorded with McTell (1931-35) and worked with him at the 'Pig
'n' Whistle'.
It could therefore be assumed that they would have known each other.
McTell's guitar playing reminds me of the soulful work of Blind Willie
Johnson, whereas Barbecue Bob has a style more
like the popular bluesmen of the period.
Based on the number of records made by both McTell and Hicks, they must have
been well-known celebrities in the Atlanta
area.
Kind regards,
Bill.