[Dixielandjazz] Re: Black & Blue

Bill Haesler bhaesler at nsw.bigpond.net.au
Wed Oct 1 10:14:33 PDT 2003

OK Mister Beebe,
The Discographal Police here!
"Open up dat door, 'fore I kick it down!" [finale to "Home Town Skiffle", Oct 1929. Paramount 12886]
Regarding your comment: >Fats Waller also did it as a put-on humorous song.  Franz Jackson does it this way.<
How do you know that Fats Waller "did it as a put-on humorous song"?
To my knowledge he never recorded it. Nor is it on any of his surviving radio transcriptions.
Or was it a trick question to see if anyone was awake?
8>)
Nor can I find a Franz Jackson recording of it, although my Franz Jackson files are probably incomplete.
However, you did not actually say that Franz Jackson had recorded it, only that he does it that way.
And you should know from your association and friendship with this great man.
(Listmates might like to seek out the Aug 1990 Delmark CD 'Franz Jackson with Jim Beebe's Chicago Jazz'.)
Very kind regards,
Bill.