[Dixielandjazz] Re: Tony Almerico

RAYK9KHW at aol.com RAYK9KHW at aol.com
Sun Nov 30 22:48:34 PST 2003

I was surfing the web tonight checking out some of the old jazz musicians I
used listen to. I was surprised, when I searched Tony Almerico and ome
interesting information came up.

Back in the ldate 40's and early 50's I built a two-tube battery powered
radio and had in in my bedroom. It used headphones and had ot hooked up to a
long-wire antenna. At night reception would be really good and I would lie in bed
tuning stations from all over the U.S. One of the loudest was WLW in New
Orleans and It wasn't long before I discovered Tony and his dixieland music.I
listened for a year or two, then other interests took over.

I joined the Air Force in January of 1960 and was sent to Biloxi,
Mississippi. I walked in to the Airman's club one night and their was Tony and the whole
band playing a live gig. I couldn't believe it! I listen to a couple of sets,
then went up and introduced myself, telling him that 10 years earlier as a 12
year old I was digging his stuff from Wisconsin on my two-tuber. I'll always
remember that.

Ray Grenier
Milwaukee, WI