[Dixielandjazz] Who was Mabel?

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Fri Nov 28 16:27:44 PST 2003

Mike Dunn offers a few suggestions as to the identity of Mabel, but I
suspect that it was the lady who worked with Wilfred Pickles on his radio
show "Have A Go". Near the end of each broadcast Wilfred awarded a  prize to
a winning quiz contestant and would ask, "What's on the table, Mabel?" -
invariably it was something daft like a pair of kippers and a bag of conkers
(for the benefit of Yank listmates conkers = buckeyes).

I believe that Violet Carson of Coronation Street fame was the pianist on
the programme. Put that little snippet in your book Mr. Haesler.

John Farrell