[Dixielandjazz] Who was Mabel?

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 28 15:52:54 PST 2003

On the other hand, there is a small town on the west coast of Scotland (near
Ayr) called Maybole. Legend has it that Ike Smith, a keen golfer, played a
round (or possibly played around) there in 1912. So could this be the true
origin? Not of course to be confused with Fussy Maybole, a tune Jelly Roll
wrote about the place on his famous U.K tour of 1918...... he recorded it
for Victor in 1930, but someone misread the recording card and it came out
as Fussy Mabel on the label (or laybole, as the Scots pronounce it).

Yours with tongue in cheek,

Mike.

ps for Mabologists, there are also tunes called Mabel (Django Reinhardt,
1937) and Mabel, Open Your Door (Sam Manning's Cole Jazz Orchestra, 1925)