[Dixielandjazz] Re: Rifle Rangers/1919 Rag

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Nov 28 15:36:39 PST 2003

Dan Augustine says in part:
> So nobody believes the information i posted on Nov. 24th?  Turk  even talks
about it on the recording, and about how hard the original French title is
to pronounce.<
and from the previous post:
> Murphy CD called "Jazz Casual--Turk Murphy/Muggsy Spanier" (Koch Jazz KOC
CD-8569, 1995). This was from a 1960's TV show originally recorded on June
20, 1962. The first song is "1919 Rag", and in the liner-notes this is
listed underneath the song: "Michel Jouve-Frank Terran  BMI Woodchuck Music
Inc.". Maybe they are the arrangers, not the composers, who knows.  This is
the only information (other than "Trad. (P. D.)")<

Dear Dan,
I did not mean to imply that.
Not at all.
However, you did not say before that Turk MENTIONED it on the program/CD.
Can I assume he meant that it was difficult to say "1919' in French.
Or what did he mean by the "original French title"?
Why would he need to have used French in the first place? Was it a European
program and is Koch 8569 a French CD?
Many more questions than answers.
But a few more leads to follow! French military music perhaps?
8>)
Kind regards,
Bill.