[Dixielandjazz] Kid Shillito

glen page gpage at direct.ca
Thu Nov 27 18:00:15 PST 2003

My  only live exposure to "The Kid" was in Liverpool in either '58 or '59. I
had traveled by bus for an all nighter by Ken at The Cave, better known
these days as the home of the Beatles. As band started to amble in there was
no sign of The Guv'ner. To my bitter disappointment an announcement was made
that Ken was sick and unable to play, K id Shillito was to sub.

I had never heard of this new person and already the night was starting to
fall apart, until the opening note was played. The Jazzmen played superbly
and further inspired "The Kid". I cannot recall hearing anything further
about him, I left for Canada in Nov. '59. Some time in the mid 70s I saw
Joys lp, #214, of Bastables Chosen Six that included Shillito. The notes on
the sleeve are, in part, as follows.

"Johnny Bastables Chosen Six in point of fact chose themselves. When Ken
Colyer was forced by ill-health to retire from bandleading, his sidemen
unanimously decided to stay together, having a belief in their own ability
not only to play New Orleans jazz but also to select a trumpeter who could
slot into the front line and contribute positively to the band sound.

That they were right in both beliefs can be heard on this, their first
LP.The man selected for the hot seat was John Shillito, whose incisive
trumpet playing, stemming from Red Allen and Kid Howard. started sparking
off the other musicians from the word go."

The record was from June 1971and if it is available in any format is
strongly recommended. The other band members were Pyke, Cole, Ames, &Murphy.
If you like the Colyer sound you know their full names and what they play.

Cheers, Glen