[Dixielandjazz] Re: Rifle Rangers/1919 Rag

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Nov 28 10:33:09 PST 2003

Dear Don,
I have kept out of this thread, as I had nothing to add.
I tried to track it all down years ago, without any success.
Have just checked aurally the 3 issued versions of Kid Ory's '1919
Rag/March' against his version of 'Rifle Rangers'.
All the same tune.
Its sounds as if it may be an old (and incorrect) New Orleans myth that
'1919 = Rifle Rangers'.
Hopefully you will get to the core of it.
Dick Baker's post with the music was a great help too, although my reading
skills have dimmed a lot since I retired from the Williamstown City Brass
Band in 1953.
I have given a copy of this music to my jazz-brother, cltist John 'Darkie'
McCarthy (he lives up the road) for comment.
Very kind regards,
Bill.
PS: I know (from the LP sleeves) that Lu and Turk said that Bunk taught them
the '1919' tune. It seems more logical to me that it was the Kid.
Just a thought, as they also knew him quite well from the 1940s on.
Bunk never (to my knowledge) played or recorded '1919'.
Ory did.