[Dixielandjazz] Rifle Rangers/1919 Rag

Don Mopsick mophandl at landing.com
Tue Nov 25 16:11:57 PST 2003

Dick Baker wrote:

<<Several years ago, in researching the tune/composer index for the Stomp
Off
catalog, I heard the Rifle Rangers story and ordered a copy of the lead
cornet solo part from the Brass Band Lending Library in Chatsfield, MN.  I
showed it to Robbie Rhodes and Dave Robinson, and both agreed that it
really isn't close enough to 1919 to be considered its precursor.>>

I agree with Robbie and Dave. The three strains of Rifle Rangers do not
match 1919 Rag, plus there are 2 interludes in 1919 Rag not present in Rifle
Rangers. The only similarity is that the trios of both begin similarly.
However, unanswered questions remain:

1. Why did Kid Ory record a tune he called Rifle Rangers, and another one he
called 1919 Rag?

2. 1919 Rag DOES sound suspiciously like a march that could have been
composed by Karl L. King. Perhaps it is based on yet another one as yet
unknown. It would take a listening by a march freak/maven to recognize which
one.

mopo