[Dixielandjazz] More on Rifle Rangers/1919 Rag

Don Mopsick mophandl at landing.com
Mon Nov 24 17:22:32 PST 2003

This is turning into a fun mystery story. I heard privately from some of you
(thanks), all various forms of folklore about 1919 Rag. My best shot at
solving the puzzle is to try for either a recording of Rifle Rangers (it's a
circus march, the composer Karl L. King was very well-known, a contemporary
of Sousza, he wrote "Barnum and Bailey's Favorite" among many others).  If I
can't  find a recording, I could use the first cornet part just to take a
look see if the melody is the same as 1919 Rag.

If you have either one, or know of a brass band or circus band freak that
may have it, please get in touch with me at mophandl at landing.com.

We're putting 1919 Rag into a Riverwalk show about New Orleans starring
Vernel Bagneris, and this detective story would make an interesting script
item.

mopo