[Dixielandjazz] Re: Jazz as Art / Entertainment

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 22 13:35:34 PST 2003

> Bill Gunter wrote(polite snip) about TV shows as Art / Enrtertainment
>
> Are such shows 'art' in the commonly accepted sense of the word? Of course!
> Just because some don't appreciate art does not mean the subject is not art.
>
> Classical nude studies - art?
>
> Playboy magazine - art?

Yeah, you nailed it shut Bill. "Art" is very broadly defined in most repositories of learning where they define such terms. Basically "Art" is
defined as:

1) Human ability to make things, creativity of man as distinguished from the world of nature

2) Skill, Craftsmanship

3) Any specific skill or its application, (the art of making friends)

Etc., Etc., Etc.

Perhaps artists would like to put "Art" on an elitist level, however, as I read it, virtually everything mankind creates is Art. Which includes TV
shows, jazz, pornography, etc., as well as  . . . gasp . . . entertainment, like movies and comedy.

When checking the "Arts" section in the Newspaper. we find that it includes, music, dance, art & design, Theater and Television and some even have a
sub heading there called "Entertainment".

And when checking your dictionary, we find the very broadest of common usage definitions as above.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Yes, even Rap is art and Eminem and Snoop Doggy Dog are therefore artists. Surely though, in musical terms, "Things Ain't What They Used To Be."
;-)