[Dixielandjazz] Freezing trumpets

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 19 16:38:18 PST 2003

Better watch out before they start experimenting with freezing the trumpet
players! On a serious note, horn players do get very wierd about their
instruments (I should know, I am one of them), arguing fiercely about raw
brass vs lacquer (as if a few microns could make an appreciable difference),
copper bells vs sterling silver, reverse leadpipes and water key (spit valve
to the vulgar) design, when common sense tells that 90% of what comes out
the bell is due to the organic entity on the end of the mouthpiece (given a
good standard of instrument). IMHOP, the best thing is to find a horn and
mouthpiece you are happy with, then PRACTISE, PRACTISE, PRACTISE if you want
to improve tone and technique, rather than pursuing the elusive goal of the
perfect instrument.

Yours from the woodshed,

Mike D.