[Dixielandjazz] Busking

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 19 16:27:48 PST 2003

We once played a three-day gig in a supermarket in Washington (the English
one), six hours a day as part of a promotion for Swiss cheese. The banjo
player left his case open, and money soon started to accumulate. So I asked
the store management if they had a favorite charity - they did - and we got
a couple of plastic buckets from them with the charity's name on. We
collected well over £300 (about $500) over the three days. No beer, but a
nice extra for the folks who train guide dogs for the blind. We also got a
lot of Swiss cheese, as the demonstrator girls were only too keen to get rid
of the opened but unused stuff at the end of each day. To this day, the mere
sight of the stuff makes me feel vaguely nauseous. All part of life's rich
tapestry.....did I tell you about the time we played for the Jules Rimet
Trophy? (to the uninitiated, that's the World Cup Soccer trophy). Well, it
was being helicoptered round Britain, under armed guard no less, to be shown
to the fans, and we played background music for an hour while it was in a
parking lot in Darlington. Dixie versions of all the soccer tunes we could
think of - fortunately, my home team (Southampton) are known as The Saints,
so that one got a lot of play! Two wierd gigs to treasure.

Mike D.