[Dixielandjazz] Trumpet help

Custode at aol.com Custode at aol.com
Tue Nov 18 14:17:27 PST 2003

In a message dated 11/18/2003 3:27:35 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jazzmin at actcom.net.il writes:

> My problem is that there is a chromatic run
> in 16th notes at a very brisk allegro from A to the C# over an octave
> higher.

Here are a couple things to help you get through this problem:

1) Hold the horn in your RIGHT Hand and practice the run using your LEFT hand
to finger the notes.  I know it is backwards, but if you practice doing this
slowly, and increase the speed to as fast as you can using this configuration,
when you switch back to holding the horn with your left hand, and using your
right hand for fingering, the notes will "pop" and "lock-in" for you.  The key
to using this approach is to play the run in perfect rhythm.  If you practice
it uneven, you will learn it that way.  I have used this method successfully
in the past with my students, as well as, for personal performances.  Also,
slam down the valves when you finger the run.  Again, the key is playing it in
perfect rhythm.

2) Your range problem is probably due to pinching off the notes as you
ascend.  Try pressing the lips against the teeth on the sides of your mouth as you
ascend, while pushing the jaw slightly forward.  This keeps the embouchure
flexible in the mouthpiece and prevents you from choking off the air supply in you
throat.

3) Finally, air speed is the key to playing high notes.  You can achieve the
proper speed by pushing the air faster through the horn and using your tongue
to condense the cavity in your mouth.  Use the syllables AHH for the lower
notes, OOH for the middle notes, and EEH for the higher notes.  Practice
chromatic runs extremely soft using a combination of air speed and syllables.

Hope this helps, and good luck,

Lewis D. Custode, Jr., CLU, ChFC
trumpet/leader
Bourbon Street Brass