[Dixielandjazz] Neat epitaph

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 18 09:45:38 PST 2003

On the subject of jazz tombstones, I was surprised to see Paul Mares'
gravestone in Chicago describes him as a Marine Corps trumpeter, but makes
no mention whatsoever of his years leading the New Orleans Rhythm Kings.
Similarly, pianist/singer/composer Tony Jackson (Pretty BabySome Sweet Day,
etc., etc.) has no mention on his marker of any musical background. And on
the subject of neat epitaphs, comedian and sometime jazz trumpeter Spike
Milligan wanted his to read "See, I told you I was sick!"

Mike D.