[Dixielandjazz] ODJB

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 17 20:25:14 PST 2003

Yes, of course you are right. The music business is fraught with plagiarism. I
am, like you, just the messenger and not passing judgment on who stole what
from whom.

Basically, anything anybody says about who really wrote what is suspect and to
be taken with a pinch of salt. Except if it comes from list mate Bill Haesler
from the land down under in OZ. What he says is 99% gospel because of his
research techniques. He's been having PC problems and I hope he gets back on
the list soon. Miss you, if you can read this, Bill.

All I know first hand about Bechet is that I met him in 1950 in NYC, gigged
with him in Paris in 1955 and he was always very nice to me for some unknown
reason. Not at all like his reputation.

All I know about Louis is that I saw him perform a few times, met him and spoke
to him then, and that everyone who plays Jazz, any style, even today, owes
Louis Armstrong big time. He was definitely THE MAN in jazz for the first half
of the 20th century. You could argue that was also true for the 2nd half of the
20th century, and IMO he was also the greatest entertainer in all of the music
business so far.

Cheers,
Steve