[Dixielandjazz] ODJB

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 18 00:32:08 PST 2003

Anything Bechet said on the subject of tune theft should possibly be taken
with a pinch of salt - his "Coffee Grinder" is note-for-note "Rubber Plant
Rag" from about 1908. Let's be charitable and put it down to a lapse of
memory on his part. After all, the great Louis 'composed' "Someday You'll Be
Sorry" but it is identical to a tune called "Good Night, Sweetheart" from
some years earlier - unconscious plagiarism, probably, since Louis said the
melody came to him in a dream. Not sure where this is going, so I'll stop!

Mike.