[Dixielandjazz] Re: Blindfold Tests - Downbeat

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Nov 17 16:44:06 PST 2003

In a message dated 11/17/03 1:27:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> Example: If someone had never heard Pee Wee Russell and Jimmy Hamilton and
> was then
> exposed to their playing in a blindfold test, my guess is that they would be
> misidentified
> almost every time. Tom Wiggins, I bet this one would get you. The trick is
> to find lesser
> known players that the listening expert has not heard before.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone

Probably so, Steve, I would never be so brazen to say that I could pass that
same test, and certainly not every time.  Probably could not, especially with
lesser known players that I had not become mentally accustomed to.  I was of
course speaking generically, and should have been a bit more specific in my
statement and limited it to Blues as opposed to music in general, which could get
me in trouble again.

But like I said in a follow up post, depends a lot on who you are comparing
and the style of music.

Kind of like comparing a blindfold test of a Black Opera Star and an Italian
one.  Because of the tough and rigid training they both must endure to reach
Diva status, but the accent and voicing in their delivery gives my ears the
clue, or perhaps it just hits a nerve in my inner ear that only gets tickled by
that sound.  Hell I can't explain it.

Cheers,

There are still only two kinds of music.  GOOD and Bad.  And no shortage of
either.

Tom Wiggins