[Dixielandjazz] ODJB

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Mon Nov 17 13:38:12 PST 2003

I don't want to get too deep into this thread, but one very distinctive
thing I hear in New Orleans bands of all styles (white, black and
in-between) is not "Boom Chick Boom Chick"  or "chicka boom chika boom"
- but more like "boom boom boom badoomboom " that often messes up a lot
of non-New Orleans OKOM band rhythm sections. Without this essential
emphasis the New Orleans Brass Band "sound" would  just be more like a
large dixieland band.

This beat is sometimes called the  Bo Diddley beat when you hear it in
Rock and Roll but it obviously goes back way further than that.

Dave Richoux (who can even play polkas and waltzes that  swing, in some
circumstances ;-)