[Dixielandjazz] ODJB

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Nov 17 15:53:39 PST 2003

In a message dated 11/17/03 11:58:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com writes:

> ? Do white guys lack the 'swing gene'? Dangerous
> territory, all that stuff about a natural sense of rhythm.......

No I could not and would not say that at all at least definitively, although
I had to learn to play drums from a totally different perspective  when I
started playing with Black guys.

Seems that most white Players are oriented to the 1 & 3 beat, and the Black
guys are oriented to the 2 & 4, same seems to be true with the dancers,   sort
of like comparing

 Boom Chick Boom Chick  with chicka boom chika boom it seems to flow better
rhythmically and becomes easier to dance to.   Try going to a Black Nightclub
and watching how most white folks dance to the Black music, especially side by
side with Black dancers.  It becomes immediately apparent that there is indeed
a difference.

Ever notice a gospel music program with white folks clapping off the beat,
not that some Black folks won't do the same thing, but I have never seen it
personally.

Yes, it is a proven fact however that All Blacks cannot sing and Dance, they
have some folks with the same problems rhythmically and musically.  They do
seem to have a more universal alliance with music and syncopation in particular.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins