[Dixielandjazz] Re:was/Cornet Education for Bill Biffle/ DenyingHistory of Jazz

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 20:48:02 PST 2003

Tom's right, the promoters saw Elvis as a way of getting 'forbidden' balck
music to the affluent white teenage market. In other words, they saw him as
a 'white negro'. His early stuff was VERY black - check out his version on
Sun of 'It's All Right Mama', it's a pretty good imitation of black bluesman
Arthur Crudup (who wrote it). I prefer the Crudup, but it was Elvis' version
that made all the money. And most white kids would not have been aware of
his existence. So rip-offs disd of course occur, but I'm not so sure about
OKOM. Swing, yes - BG etc reaped all the rewards while Basie, Henderson,
Webb were marginalised. But where were the white bands ripping off Oliver,
Ellington or Morton in the 20's? Thoughts, anyone?

Mike D.