[Dixielandjazz] Doubkle Bass

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 17:15:52 PST 2003

Hello Hans,

You ask:

>Can someone explain me the different between a "Double Bass" a "contrabass"
>or a "string bass"?
>What is the meaning of the world "Double" in this combination?

The bass is the lowest instrument in the string choir.

My musical dictionary offers this definition which should answer your
question:

"Contra-bass - The double bass; the deepest-toned stringed instument of the
viol species. The strings are usually tuned a fourth apart, to the following
notes - e-a-d-g."

I believe the name "double bass" refers to the fact that the instrument
actually sounds an octave lower than written.

Respectively submitted,

Bill "The bass viol is neither base nor vile" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com