[Dixielandjazz] Re: Double Bass; helicon

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Nov 17 08:03:08 PST 2003

Hans, Brian, & DJML--
    Hans asked what the 'double' in "double bass" means.  The OED (Oxford English Dictionary) says that the term 'double' in this context is simply another word for 'contra': "[f. DOUBLE a. 4b + BASS, after the Italian name CONTRABASSO.]". The term in English seems to date from about 1727.  Easy for me to say, say you; what does the term 'contra' mean?  My guess is that it means 'deeper' in this context, as 'contra' in Italian etymology means 'below'.  So the 'contrabass' or 'double bass' played even lower than another bass line.  This is not surprising when you consider that double (string) bass music is written an octave higher than it sounds.
    In researching this answer i found a number of good double bass websites, the first of which is:

"Bob Gollihur's Double Bass Links Page and Double Bass Luthier Directory Project"
http://www.gollihur.com/kkbass/basslink.html#history

which led me to:

"SLAP THAT BASS! NEW ORLEANS STRING BASS PIONEERS"
http://www.geocities.com/BourbonStreet/5135/bass.html

    Brian's remarks are also valuable, but the string bass is actually a member of the older 'viol' family, not the violin family.  And a helicon is not a bass trumpet, which basically plays in the trombone range, but the ancestor of the sousaphone.  Rich Matteson played the helicon with Louis Armstrong and the Dukes of Dixieland on an old Audio Fidelity recording, but not many others besides him and Jaffe (and me) still play it.

    Dan