[Dixielandjazz] Interesting article on new performances ofMinstrel Shows

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Mon Nov 17 08:23:36 PST 2003

Mike:

You raise a great question I and many other performers of these old songs
have struggled with for a long time. To add one more unbelievable title: "I'm
Just An Alabama Nigger" was a real song that was so accepted at the turn of the
century it was actually performed by an operatic star. How do you explain this
highly offensive language today? The answer is, you can't. I spoke to Max
Morath about this once and he had probably the best single answer I've heard yet.
The song, "Oh, Mr. Johnson Turn Me Loose," has extremely offensive lyrics
which can be altered to keep most of the good stuff. He did that very
successfully. On the other hand, the great Vaudeville number, "Rufus, Rastus, Johnson
Brown," (What Ya Goin To Do When The Rent Comes Roun?") is beyond repair. The
latter song is humorous and has great syncopation but how can you perform it? I
hope someone comes up with a better answer than either change it or drop it. A
lot of great American stage music sits unplayed.

Dan (piano fingers) Spink