[Dixielandjazz] Re: Friday night in Schenectady NY

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 16 16:52:24 PST 2003

Listmates,

Steve Barbone writes (regarding Jerry Gordon's washboard sit in with Barbone
Street):

>He performed with technical brilliance and swung his ass off, much to the
>delight and cheers of the audience as well as the band.
>
>His instrument? Washboard, made in Logan Ohio. (eat your heart out Bill
>Gunter. ;-)

Actually, Jerry's debut on washboard was at the third Annual Washboard
Festival in Logan, Ohio. He performed magnificently in the washboard
"concert" and also with the Boondockers.

I was quietly proud of Jerry because I taught him everything he knows (yeah,
right)!

Incidentally, Jerry's prowess on the washboard is partly due to an
innovative concept in design and construction which is of a radically new
ergonometric conformation. The washboard is "worn" rather than simply hung
by a strap from one's neck. With the new "Gordon" washboard one simply
"becomes one with the instrument."

Jerry should write a book . . . "Zen and the Art of Playing The Washboard."

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Thimbles" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com

ps - Jerry also displays a modicum of talent.

-bg