[Dixielandjazz] Cornet Education for Bill Biffle

Adaywayne at aol.com Adaywayne at aol.com
Sun Nov 16 11:04:29 PST 2003

Dare a non-player post an opinion? Why not?

 One thing that can not be denied about the origins of jazz, is the major
input made by New Orleans Creole musicians as well as Italian Americans. All this
stuff about jazz being born out of African rhythms, slave songs, negro
srituals etc. was just a load of misinformation foisted on the public during the
"Trad Revival" of the 1950s and 1960s. I think a lot of that stuff created a
backlash from the boppers and others that is detrimental to OKOM to this very day.
One might do well to read Sudhalter's book to get a proper perspective on the
contribution of non-blacks.

Having said that, one can only cheer those black players who do make an
effort to remember the roots of jazz and to incorporate them in their playing. I
spoke at length on this subject to Milt Hinton just before he died, and he
expressed his sadness that there were so few blacks playing the early forms of jazz.
Arn

In a message dated 11/15/03 10:54:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,