[Dixielandjazz] Roberta Gambarini Quartet

Hans Koert koerthchkz at zeelandnet.nl
Sun Nov 16 11:01:58 PST 2003

Last night I visited a concert of the Roberta Gambarini Quartet in the Porgy
en Bess Jazzclub (see link on my web site) in Terneuzen, a small city in the
south-western part of the Netherlands, near the Dutch-Belgian border.
Roberta Gambarini is a young US-Italian woman who sings ik the style of Ella
Fitzgerald and I was very surprised by her excellent voice and timing and
her scat singing, imitating the original solos of musicians like Dizzy,
Sonny Rollins or Sonny Stitt. It's a pity that she hasn't made any album so
far. Tonight she will play in Amsterdam and the concert will be recorded for
VPRO-Radiop. The other three musicans in her quartet were also an eye opener
for me. The drummer Steve Williams is known from the Shirley Horn Trio and
played a good concert, although he was for me invisible behind his cymbals.
The piano player was completely unknown for me, but he is Robertas regular
piano player. He is from Armenia and a very all-round piano player. Of all
musicans I was very anxious to see and her the bass-player Jimmy Woode, the
"eminent-grise" of the Duke Ellington orchestra and as a double-bass player
he accompanied singers like Ella Fitzgerald and Sarah Vaughan. Jimmy is 75
years old now, and, maybe not so fast as he was thirty years ago, still an
excellend musician and a gentle open personality. Thank you Jimmy !!  I hope
to be come so vital as you are when I'm 75 !!

BTW: 3rd Audio Park "Paper Hits" CD released. Ask for review.

Keep swinging

Hans Koert

Hit of the week-Durium project
http://www.people.zeelandnet.nl/koerthchkz