[Dixielandjazz] Education of a Trumpet Player

Harold Smith s3856lpa at webtv.net
Sat Nov 15 11:27:31 PST 2003

Glad to see that Tom Saunders (the Old one) is around and a DJML guy.
Of course, Tom is much too modest to mention himself.  He is a great
one, too, folks, as I'm sure you already know.

I've heard Tom for years at he Decatur, Ill. festivals, and his verve,
his taste, and his wit came through horn, not to mention his "fire".  He
co-led the Saunders=Hirsch All Stars as the "house band" of the Fest for
something like 20 years.  That gang lconsisted of co-leader Bobby Hirsch
on piano, Chuck Hedgss, Bill Allred, Jerry Mlartin (bass), John Defauw
(rhythm gulitarl) and various drummers over the years.  What a swinging
group.

Tom belongs on any list of ltrumpet/cornet players to emulate.

Harold Smith